What is happening?
The University and College Union has announced that industrial action will take place at 61 universities, including Hull, after talks last week between UCU and the employers' representative Universities UK (UUK) ended without agreement.
We understand the concerns of University staff and hope that meaningful negotiation takes place and a resolution is agreed. University staff who are members of UCU may choose to take industrial action on some or all of the fourteen dates listed.
- Week 1: 22 and 23 February
- Week 2: 26, 27 and 28 February
- Week 3: 5, 6, 7 and 8 March
- Week 4: 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 March
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the upcoming industrial actions, please contact your course, faculty or school rep. You can find you’re here. Alternatively, email either of HUU’s Education Co-ordinators, Veronika Mikurova or Benedict Greenwood on firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
What can I do about it?
- Write to the Vice-Chancellor – If you’d like to support the industrial action, you can write to University of Hull Vice-Chancellor, Professor Susan Lea, using this template https://www.ucu.org.uk/studentvoice
- Come to Union Council on February 19th – Join us at 6.30pm in Meeting Room 1 in Student Central, where a motion will be put forward to determine whether HUU should oppose industrial action and you can support or stand against it.
- Submit an Idea – If you have an idea on an alternative course of action you’d like HUU to take, submit it through the Your Ideas scheme here. The Your Ideas scheme lets fellow students vote either for or against your submission, and potentially get it heard at Union Council.
- Get your thoughts heard by the Vice-Chancellor – Your student officers will soon be attending a meeting with the Vice-Chancellor and the University of Hull’s Senior leadership team. If there is anything you’d like your officers to raise at the meeting, contact the team here.
What’s the current HUU stance?
Following student feedback, the Student Office team opted to oppose UCU industrial action. However, consultation with students will continue into the future to inform HUU’s stance going forward. More information on HUU’s opposition to UCU industrial action is available here.
I have another question…
The University of Hull has set up an FAQ resource where you will be able to find the answer to a range of questions regarding the upcoming industrial action. This section will be constantly updated throughout the industrial action period. You can access it here.