We’re looking for skilled communicators to support our activities in Hull and East Yorkshire with PR and press and help make Macmillan’s voice heard. By monitoring local media to identify opportunities to increase funds and /or awareness, you’ll make a massive difference to Macmillan and, ultimately, to the lives of people affected by cancer.
Macmillan’s ambition is to reach and improve the lives of everyone living with cancer and inspire millions of others to do the same. At the moment we are only reaching half of these people and we need your help to make our voice heard!
• monitoring the local print, online and radio news and identifying potential opportunities to increase funds and/or awareness
• sharing articles and information with the local Macmillan team
• updating Macmillan’s records of local press contacts and reporters
• writing up supporters’ case studies for press releases
• developing links with local media contacts and sending out press releases to them
• arranging photographers and photo calls when required.
In return, as one of Macmillan’s fantastic volunteers you’ll benefit from:
• meeting new people
• developing your press and PR skills
• being part of a fun, enthusiastic and supportive team
• the opportunity to boost your CV
• reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed according to guidelines.
• an understanding of Macmillan’s work
• an ability to organise your work and work on your own initiative
• proficiency in Microsoft Office and an ability to conduct internet research
• excellent written and verbal communication skills
• confidence about building rapport over the telephone and in discussing sensitive issues with supporters
• excellent attention to detail
• the ability to adhere to Macmillan policies such as health and safety and equal opportunities